Horrifying footage shows a man seemingly setting fire to a property in Bolton after he doused police officers with petrol when they tried to arrest him.

Greater Manchester Police has released the shocking footage to show the bravery of their officers while carrying out their day-to-day role of protecting the public.

The terrifying incident started after officers were called to the property on Friday at around 11pm to arrest a man over recent domestic violence offences.

But when they arrived at the home the man threw a liquid over the officers, which is thought to have been petrol, before dousing himself in the same liquid and threatening to set himself on fire, Manchester Evening News reports.

The officers with riot shields were forced to storm their way in and grab hold of the man to drag him out of the building.

A 51-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of malicious communications, breach of a restraining order, arson with intent to endanger life and assault on an emergency services worker.

He was taken to hospital where he was assessed for smoke inhalation and minor injuries, however he was later discharged and subsequently charged.

One officer was also taken to hospital and was treated by an eye specialist for suspected chemical burns.

He has since been discharged but requires further assessment later this week.

GMP Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts has praised the ‘bravery’ of the officers involved in the arrest.

He said: “This was a challenging situation which highlights the dangerous conditions our officers are often faced with when carrying out their duties to protect our community and those who are in need of our help.

Every single day our officers are willing and prepared to do everything within their powers, including putting themselves in harm’s way, in order to protect our most vulnerable victims, including those of domestic violence.

“I would like to commend the bravery of our officers and partners in this situation who managed to safely detain the suspect despite the challenges that were thrown in their direction.

“One of our officers was taken to hospital with chemical burn injuries, and we are lucky that those injuries were not even more severe.

“I only hope this footage that we are sharing can give an insight to the public of the resilience and commitment of our officers to go the extra mile to protect vulnerable members of our communities.”

Christian Smith from Farnworth has been charged with one count of arson with intent to endanger life, one count of affray, one count of actual bodily harm to a police officer and one count of harassment.

He has been remanded in custody and will appear before Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court on Monday.